We are your Bridge, Reasonable, Reliable & ReassuringTM
: :   NJ (732) 354-4700
  PA (215) 853-8940
Practice Areas
  Temporary Work in USA
  Extraordinary Ability EB-1
  National Interest Waiver
  Green Card
  US Citizenship
  Health Care Professionals
  Consular Matter
  Immigration Links
  Student Visa
  Visitor/ Business Visa
  AC21 Portability
  Immig Law FAQs
  Compliance Audits
Some areas of our website are still under construction.
Visa Bulletin Case Processing Time Fees Sreepad's Blog
Practice Areas > Temporary Work in USA
H-3 Nonimmigrant Trainee or Special Education Exchange Visitor

H-3 Trainees

An H-3 “trainee” must be invited by an individual or organization for the purpose of receiving training, other than graduate or medical education training, in any field including but not limited to:

arrow Commerce
arrow Communications
arrow Finance
arrow Government
arrow Transportation
arrow Agriculture
arrow Other professions
This classification is not intended for U.S. employment It is designed to provide an alien with job-related training for work that will ultimately be performed outside the United States.

In order to obtain H-3 classification, a U.S. employer or organization must provide:

A detailed description of the structured training program. The description should indicate the number of hours per week the trainee will be in classroom training and the number of hours per week that the trainee will be involved in on-the-job training
arrow A summary of the trainee's prior training and experience
arrow An explanation of why the trainee needs the training
arrow A statement explaining why the training is unavailable in the trainee's home country
arrow A statement explaining how the training will benefit the trainee in pursuing a career outside the United States
arrow A statement explaining who will pay for the training without the petitioner permanently employing the trainee

H-3 Special Education Exchange Visitor

There is a numerical limit (or “cap”) on the number of H-3 special education exchange visitors. No more than 50 may be approved in a fiscal year. As of May 20, 2011, USCIS has approved three H-3 for special education exchange visitors in fiscal year 2011.

A petition requesting an H-3 “special education exchange visitor” must be filed by a U.S. employer or organization. It should include a description of:

arrow The training the alien will receive
arrow The staff and facilities where the training will occur
arrow The trainee's participation in the training
In addition, the U.S. employer or organization must show that the trainee is:

arrow Nearing the completion of a baccalaureate degree program in special education
arrow Has already earned a baccalaureate degree in a special education program, or
arrow Has experience teaching children with physical, mental or emotional disabilities.
Note: Any custodial care of children must be incidental to the alien's training.

Application Process
In order to obtain H-3 classification, the U.S. employer or organization must file a Petition with the USCIS for the Nonimmigrant Worker. The petition must be filed with the information provided above.

Period of Stay

If the petition is approved, the trainee may be allowed to remain in the United States for up to 2 years. If the trainee petition is approved for a special education exchange visitor, the trainee may remain in the United States for up to 18 months.

Family of H-3 Visa Holders

Trainees' spouses and children who are under the age of 21 may a company them to the United States. However, the family members will not be permitted to work in the United States.
information provided here is of general nature and should not be constructed as legal advice.matters in personal historyor a perticular situation may affect eligibility to recive immigration benfits in a perticular situation.Information is updated peroidically and may not be current at all time.